- If you are a first time parent, it is amazing how much equipment and how many items that are needed to prepare for the arrival of a new born. I would suggest you to start shopping before entering into your 7th month of pregnancy, just in case you may ended up in early labour or by then, you may be too fat to walk around and trying to catch your breath.
Again, if you have kind friends or relatives who is offering you used stuff, I would say, take them. First of all, baby grown up fast and second, you could really safe money.
Here is the basic shopping list for a Newborn Baby:-
- tops (for day wear) - short sleeve and those perforated type (really good for Malaysia weather-Carefour and Jusco's are cheap)
- pyjamas / rompers
- mittens (again perforated type are good to enable air circulation. Some prefer not to use this. I personally do not used this often. As long as you are able to maintain/keep your baby's nails short, you can actually do without it. The main purpose is just to prevent them from scratching their face. But again, this apply in Malaysia)
- lots of handkerchiefs
- Cloth Diapers (some people like to just used those disposable type. I like to use this as this allow some ventilation/circulation of air and able to prevent rashes, also to do a bit for the earth as they are washable and reusable.)
- Disposable Diapers (Mammy Poko is expensive but it is the best for night use. You can find something cheaper for day use)
- Of course, also some nice go outing clothes
2. FEEDING AND BATHING
- Bottles (the selection depends on your budget or whether you are a health freak)
- Bottle Brush
- Cleaning detergent
- Sterilizer kit (steamer/sterilizing pills method)
- Breast Pump (depends on your need)
- 1 small bottle of formula (just in case you are not able to produce breast milk)
- Anti-slip mat
- Baby bath ( I will suggest that you just get a small one. You will end up owning dozens of them from the fullmoon gift pack)
- Baby shampoo (as above)
- Baby lotion (as above)
- Ru Yi oil (usually rub on baby's belly button to get rid of wind. Use only after the baby cord fell)
- Lots of baby wipes
3. BEDDING AND TRAVELLING
- Baby Cot / Play pen
- Cot mattress
- Side protection cushion
- Bedsheet c/w pillow case and bolster
- Changing mat
- Bouncer chair
- Car Seat / Infant Seat
- Front/Back carrier or Baby sling ( I find this very useful. It is like a hands free kit. You can carry your baby and carrying other shopping stuff at the same time)
- Diaper Bag
There are items like walker, baby chair and etc. you will need to get when the child is older.
The above are basic stuffs that you need to get. My suggestion is do not try to over buy anything. If you are leaving in a small space, you will end up with a very clutter place or losing a certain space of your room and become storage of your baby stuff.
So, enjoy shopping!!!!
If you have done all your shopping, the birth date must be near approaching. I will talk about the birth in my next post.