Monday, June 7, 2010

The Risk-Test for Down Syndrome

Once you received news about your pregnancy, you will be so delighted and started to set plans, visualize the happy moment and eagerly waiting for the little one. However, the journey of pregnancy does not come easy as you think especially when you conceived in your thirties.

When my doctor said I need to go and have a check for down syndrome, that worried me. I was worried whether the baby will be ok and thinking what if it is not, what will I do next. I knew with my age, the risk of having a down syndrome baby is higher.

This is a test to be done around 11-13 weeks of your pregnancy.

The risk of Down syndrome is increased with increasing age. The risk is also increased if there is history of Down syndrome in the family.

Table of Risk:-

Age of Mother Risk of Trisomy 21 Risk of all
Chromosomal Abnormality

twenties 1 in 1000-1700 1 in 380-500
thirties 1 in 170 - 1000 1 in 100-380
forties 1 in less than 100 1 in less than 60

There are 2 types of test available; screening tests and diagnostic tests. Screening tests include biochemical tests and ultrasound scan. This involves taking a blood sample from the mother to measure certain protein or chemicals in the blood. The ultrasound takes measurement of the nuchal translucency of fluid beneath the skin of the fetal neck and look at the presence of the nasal bone.

Diagnostic tests area 'invasive' involves sampling with a needle tubing. There is a procedure-related risk of miscarriage between 0.5% to 1%.

With the advancing laboratory techniques and high resolution ultrasound, many doctors will recommend for the non-invasive tests for down syndrome.

I thank GOD that the results of my 2 pregnancies turned out to be ok and I need not go for the invasive test.




No comments:

Post a Comment