Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jaundice in Newborns and Treatment

Jaundice in Newborns

The cause is a yellow bile pigment called bilirubin, which is carried in the blood and deposited in the skin, mucous membranes, and sclera (whites of the eyes). The result of these areas of the body turn yellow. The 2 common causes are an immaturity of the baby's liver and blood-group incompatibilities (less common).

More than 25% of all healthy, full term newborn become slightly jaundiced, usually on 3rd or 4th day after they are born. In premature babies, the incidence is higher.

The level of bilirubin can be determined by blood test.  Asian tends to have higher bilirubin level.  


The Treatment

In mild or moderate levels of jaundice, by 1 to 2 weeks of age the baby will take of the excess bilirubin on its own. For high level of jaundice, phototherapy treatment with a special light that helps to alter the bilirubin and make it easier for baby to get rid of it.

More frequent feedings of breast milk or supplement formula helps infants pass the bilirubin.  

My experiences

All the 3 of my babies have jaundice when they were born. There are a lots of myth about preventing jaundice in new born for example drinking coconut water, do not eat fruits like papaya, banana and etc. I have seen this advices in some of the forum/discussion among the mothers but it worked for some but generally, they do not worked for the rest.






My eldest
My eldest son was born with high jaundice level. The doctor in Pantai was nice to recommend me the home photo therapy. We have the option of staying in the hospital, including myself so my baby could be breastfed. The benefit of the home photo therapy is definitely cheaper and I got to rest at home.

If you were to stay in a private hospital, say, for 3 days, I think the bill will come close to RM3,000.00. As for the home therapy is only RM375 which inclusive of delivery, setting up, collection, rental for 3 days or less and consumables e.g eyes patch and plastic liner.

The service is provided by HOME PHOTOTHERAPY SERVICES SDN BHD (Tel: 03-7957 8137 or 012-395 1311).

My daughter
One of the twins,  has mild jaundice. She was allowed home and I went home with her so I could breastfeed her. In the morning, the confinement took her down for a walk and exposed her to sunlight and the jaundice dissapeared after a while.

My youngest son
The other twins has extremely high jaundice, partly also due to his G6PD deficiency problem. I have no choice but to leave him in the hospital to undergo photo therapy and resorting to formula milk. It was not possible for me to run around between hospital and home and to try to breastfeed both.


Thank God, his bilirubin level dropped tremendously the 2nd day and we were able to bring him home.

I felt a bit sad when we were home with just 1 baby. The day doctor allowed us to bring the him home, I felt so happy that we are finally home as a whole family.




No comments:

Post a Comment