Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Maid Issues

Maid or no maid? I was a firm believer of not having a maid until the arrival of the twins. Both of myself and my husband used to share house works when that was just the 2 of us. The maid? We don't trust them, too many scary or horror story about them!!

When my eldest son arrived, I was exploring the option of babysitter or hiring a live-in Chinese maid. I am not the type of person who can stay at home and engage into this 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days job without any financial freedom and break. I have the experience of doing this for a month after the confinement lady left. I realised that I do not have the patient and became more emotional. My husband and I used to have a chat of our work, life and occasionally met up for a drink. Since I was babysitting at home the whole day, all I wanted to do when he get home is for him to take care of the baby, so I could prepare dinner (not even bother to be creative), shower and prepare the baby's milk bottle or do any balance of the house works. I realised this was not healthy for our relationship, I need to get back to work. I felt good after going back to work and look forward everyday to come home to see my husband and the baby and to cook for them.

OK. Here is my journey of trying to get a nanny or maid for my precious children while we are at work.  At first, I got my neighbour to babysit. My babysitter decided to become alcoholic less than 2 months taking care of my baby. Thank God, my son was in good health and not harmed. Appreciated my neighbours who have given the information about the behavior of the babysitter. I took my baby back and  decided to get a Chinese live-in nanny. At the beginning, I went through an agency to hire my very 1st Chinese nanny.

Some of you may not know such an agency exist, right? Here are the 2 agencies that hire out local Malaysian maid, mainly Chinese and some Indian.

1. Susan Domestic Agency 
  • Location : Cheras and Jalan Pasar off Jalan Pudu
  • Contact : 016-331 8040
  • Charges: Agency fee - 1 month of the maid's salary. Maid's salary = RM1300-1600/month (depends on live in or not)

I got my first nanny through this agency. However, for whoever wish to engage their service, my advice is you need to be patient. The lady boss, she is a very loud, bad manner person. If you do not have the patient, you will not be able to even listen and talk to her any further. I was pre-warned about her attitude. So at the end I got my nanny.


2. Yee Ku 
  • Location : Jalan Pasar Off Jalan Pudu (next door to Susan's)
  • Contact : 012-609 1273
  • Charges: Agency Fee - RM800. Maid's salary = RM 1300-1600/month

The agency will usually provide a 2 months warranty. If you are not happy, you could change. The live-in nanny will basically take care of the baby, cook for us and including doing the house works. They have to go on a break a day per week.

My 1st nanny has done an excellent job in taking care of my son but unfortunately she gone crazy after 8 months after I banned her from taking my baby out everyday to hawker/restaurant outside to have her meal. I was worried that my son or they could be a target of kidnapping or robbery.

With the short notice, I was desperate to get a replacement. I have called all confinement ladies listed in my previous blog and was hoping that 1 of them will be interested to work for me for long term, I wasn't ready to go back to the agency to face the very rude Susan and pay her a month of agency fee again. I did not come to know Yee Ku only till later.

Running out of luck, I resorted to China Press to see whether there is any more maid agency who provide Chinese maid. Then I noticed there are few ads looking for Chinese maid. I was desperate that I call to the persons who advertised and apologised to them that I did not want to apply for the job but would like to enquire them about the responds and their luck in getting the maid. The feed backs were good. All of them who advertised have managed to get a maid within couple of days.

So I called up China Press. The cost to advertise for 3 days was only about RM110. So I placed the ad. and within few days, I have received 7 calls and has arranged for the meet up/interview. So, I got my 2nd nanny finally and minus the agent fees. Yeah!

Then the 2nd nanny worked for us for about 13 months. When I knew I was pregnant with twins, I know I need to get a maid. No way my nanny is able to handle 3 children. Lucky enough, my brother suggested her formal Filipino maid and I managed to get in touch with her and she was willing to come over and work for me. I was not willing to get a stranger through agency to come and stay with us.

Then come another problem. My nanny was not able to cope with 3 children. She decided to quit but promise to do so till I get a replacement. Here we go again, maid problem!!! I think God has been very kind to me from the time I got pregnant. My maid sister is willing to come over and work for me.

So, now I have 2 Filipino assistants who have done an excellent job taking care my children and also the house is spotless clean but the cooking is not so good-la. 2 out of 3 is good enough for me. Priority is the children.



29 comments:

  1. Hi, I am so impressed with your sharing above, it's truly helpful. Can I know what China Press do you advertise on as we seldom read Chinese newspaper? You can share with me via email at sereen.teoh@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name of the paper is China Press

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have been searching for a local chinese nanny and i came across ur blog by luck! =)
    I'm currently expecting and i wanted to ask, based on ur experience, would a filipino maid be able to cope or would a local chinese maid be better to handle a new born baby?.. Thanx so much for sharing ur info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, I am glad my blog topic is of any help to you. I would suggest you get a chinese maid for the initial couples of months. Chinese maid need to go off a day in a week and filipino, if you compensate them, they can work all weeks and they are more flexible. So, if you need to do anything during the weekend, you will have to tag along your baby in the absent of the chinese nanny. If you are not staying with your parents or in-laws, then, it is good that you can learn from the nanny on how to take care of your baby (if you are a first time mother).

    Filipino maids are generally good workers and has good heart. Frankly, I won't trust Indonesian. You pay a bit extra but you can rely on them.

    Have an interface period of about 1 month to have both your nanny and Filipino maid worked together and get the maid to familarize with the handling of your baby and your nanny also can serve as a watchdog of your maid's attitude/behavior towards taking care of your baby. You will to ensure your baby is in safe hands.

    So, good luck to you. By the way, the application for a maid, takes about 2 months, so better start planning now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, i am serene. I have maid issue since my son was born. chinese maid is more reliable, but they can not work longer period. th first one work for me about 1 year plus, then want to quit. now, i have change 3 chinese maid. the 3rd one, yesterday say want to quit again, just work for me 1 month only. They all do not want to tell the truth, means the reason for the quit, always say their family do not allow them to work. i getting this 3rd maid through Susan Domestic agency.

    Anybody have a good agency for hiring Philipino maid. i really give up to hire chinese maid already

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, I understand your frustrations. I have gone through the same things, been crying, worrying but that gets you stronger. I am fortunate to have some good filipino maids now. If you want, I could recommend you their friends or relatives. Do email me at acbm123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Susan maid agency to procure a local maid in Feb. The maid agreed to work just to oversee my 2 children at RM1,800. Susan charged me RM1,900 in agency fees, and RM300 as an "advance" from the maid that I would deduct from her salary. The local maid stayed in my house for only ONE day, and informed me at lunchtime the next day that she was quitting as there was too much to do (even though I had another Indonesian maid who was doing all household chores, and she was only to oversee my baby and spend 1/2 day with my 3 year old, and I made her wake up too early (I wanted her to wake up at 6am to get my daughter ready for school, and the previous night, we completed all tasks at 8pm - she's a live in maid). I called Susan to ask for my agency fee back - Susan intially refused - it was after prolonged calling and threatening her with the small claims tribunal that she returned RM1,900, pocketing RM300 as "agency fee" for a maid who worked only effectively less than a day. I find her to be rude, abrasive and dishonest. Please beware when dealing with her as she insists only on cash, and keeps jacking up the price (she quoted me one month salary over the phone, then kept adding more and more items to the bill) and it is very difficult to recover your money in case of dispute. In addition, do not expect any sort of contract etc - as in the case of the maid she sent me, she literally stayed overnight and then insisted on leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Chrissy,

    Yes, maid issues,never ending story. The Susan person, yes, totally agreed, she is rude and ill-manner, she is interested only in cash. If you noticed, she actually also advertised in China Press for the chinese nanny too. During my time, we have contract and 2 months warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Arlene

    I'm Alvin and I'm really happy to see your blog!
    My existing babysitter have actually break my trust by taking another baby that's younger than my little one ( > 9 mth old) without
    discussing this with me. Now I'm having concern that my little one being neglected by the babysitter and alot of other stuff that's bugging me.


    I wish to hired a maid / babysitter for my little one and wish to source for a phillipino as maid
    Do you have any one that you can recommend that for hiring help for my little one?

    Thanks in Advance Arelene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Alvin,

    Understand your dilemma but the babysitter could be a very experience babysitter and able to cope with more than 1 child/baby. There are pro and cons of having a maid at home. I would suggest so only if you have someone at home to monitor for a period of time. However, I am sorry that I have ran out of recommendation. Most of my maid's friends/relatives are taken up. For the past 1 year, I have no choice but to suggest my blog readers/followers to get maid from agencies.

    I could help/advice if you have problem/issue with your maid (filipino), if any.

    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi.. Great Blog! I am actually looking for a part time maid from 8.30am to 5.30pm to care for my son and twins by July onwards. It is a good idea to post in newspaper. BUT.. I have no idea on the rate now. Can probably share with me on how much to offer?

    - Buzzy Mummy -
    http://buzzymummydiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Buzzy Mummy

    Thank you for reading my blog. I can't remember much but I think it was RM108 for 3+1 days of advertisment. China Press will give you an extra day for free. Some of my blog follower/reader have posted in the Star paper too. You can always ring the paper up to find out about the rates.

    Just a note, your size of family and the age gaps between the children is also very similar to mine. I believe 'a' part time maid will not able to cope with 3 children. Previously I have one chinese nanny and one maid and now i have 2 maids. The eldest is still small, you still have to keep an eye on them and youngest, of course, the full time care is needed and they will need more care/attention when the twins started to crawl and walk. No way a maid can go running after 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Arlene,

    I wonder if you have any Chinese live-in nanny contacts to share at all? Many thanks in advance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Coolwillnz,

    sorry, I do not have any! The demands are higher than supplies and everybody seems to have problem getting one now or a good one including foreign maids too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Arlene,

    I rang and spoke to Yee Ku, and she's told me min $1,800 for a local live in, and plus I have to hire an additional foreign maid (because I have three under three p,us we live in a big house) and she will charge me $1,800 commission with no guarantee. Does this sound right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jennifer,

    Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy with work and the school holiday + the upcoming festive seasons + my maid going back home for 2 week.

    Yes, it is correct. 1 maid cannot managed 3 kids of such a close age gap. I have 1 chinese nanny + 1 maid for a start, then 2 maids until 1 maid went back and never came back. Thank God, and this happen when the twins are around 2.5 yrs old.

    Unless you are full time at home and able to help up with the caring of the kids and house work, then 1 helper will do. You can email me at acbm123@gmail.com if you need to have a chat with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Arlene,

    I find this blog entry of yours very useful. I am hiring a filipino maid from an agency from puchong and she's expected to arrive in January. She will be travelling to my mom's place with us on week days as we send our 4 months' old baby and 3 yrs old kid to my mom's place on weekdays. And on weekends and pub hols she will stay with us at home.

    Like you, we never thought of getting a maid, never! Until the 2nd baby came and we thought it might be too taxing for my mom to take care of our 2 little ones. There is another indonesian maid at my mom's.

    Any advice for us first timers on these filipino maids, what to do, what not to do, what to expect and stuffs like that.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris

      Thanks for reading my blog. That is consider a very good arrangement with your mum's supervision.

      However, I am not sure if put 2 maids together. They tend to compare. I think it is important to distribute the work accordingly between this 2 maids. If not, could be problem.

      But some could work well together but it all depends on their attitude, really.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  18. LOOKING FOR RELIABLE FILIPINO HOUSEMAIDS?

    Welcome to Reliable Maid Agent. Flexible hiring options. Professional, efficient and responsible for every housemaid placement.

    Email: reliablemaidagent@gmail.com

    Or, visit our Facebook Page @ Reliable Maid Agent

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice writeup. If you want to hire nanny services in Melbourne please contact us from the links below

    The Hire a nanny Melbourne main aim of this particular article is to take into count all relative fields and facts about the nanny services. There are many Hire a nanny Sydney coming up in the business that will help in dealing with the problem of childcare. By hiring Nanny share Melbourne professionals and best possible nannies you all can work in the right direction and Nanny Share is quite worth enough for hire.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Arlene,
    I am a new mother with twin girls too. Would you be able to connect me to your live in chinese baby sitter whom took care of your boys earlier? Am wondering if she would be interested as a live-in Nanny for 1 twin while the other will be taken care by my Filipino maid. Or do you think I can still try Yee Ku - the one you recommended above? I can be contactable at : cherylsiew@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Arlene,
    I am a new mother with twin girls too. Would you be able to connect me to your live in chinese baby sitter whom took care of your boys earlier? Am wondering if she would be interested as a live-in Nanny for 1 twin while the other will be taken care by my Filipino maid. Or do you think I can still try Yee Ku - the one you recommended above? I can be contactable at : cherylsiew@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! My two toddler boys are really fallen in love with my maid whom I found via MaidFinder. I just want to know your idea and insight about online maid sources like MaidFinder?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yee ku n susan is the same person manage. My mum using Susan chinese maid. Very good

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. หาแม่บ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Arlene, fabulous post....allow me to share my most reason experience with Susan Domestic Agency: my MIL engaged this agency to arrange for a domestic helper and after many phone calls and waiting, we finally managed to secure a middle age local helper for my MIL. Arrangement/agreement was made to meet up at the agency on 4th Nov'17 at 2pm to meet/pay the fees and bring her back home. I flew in frm PG on the 4th mng to help out MIL for the meet session at the agency. 10.30am, the wonderful loud, rude, knows nothing about customer care agent calls my HP and tells me 'ur maid aaaaa.....she didn't come la today, u need to select another maid and wait"...I even texed her the day before to confirm if verythign was per plan...no response frm her...this is after she so rudely told my MIL during mid week to come and take the maid as she is staying at the agency....this lady has no sense of customer orientation, rude, loud and is only interested in the processing fees that is agreed on.

    Note to all who are interested in engaging them: PLS B XTRA CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING WITH THEM, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED ESPECIALLY THE ARRANGEMENTS.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Arlene,

    Thank you for sharing in your blog. It is quite frustrating to look for a foreign maid, and they don't usually measure up to what they promised.

    After my wife's confinement lady left, we began to miss all the home cook food and her experience in taking care of our newborn baby. Her skills and knowledge has really given us the confidence and assurance that she and the baby is taken care of by a professional.

    I am glad that I have an option to look for a local nanny instead of relying on foreign maids. Will get in touch with China Press and advertise as you did.

    However, I noticed that your article was posted 8 years ago, and the salary mentioned back then was about RM1,300 - RM1,800.

    How much should I advertise on the salary for nanny now in 2018? I believe the price for confinement lady has also increased. Now I paid RM6,000 inclusive of angpow.

    Thank you once again, and look forward to your response.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super useful blog and feedback from other readers. I have been contacted by Susan maid agency and was considering to get them to help with maid hiring---but after reading all the feedback here, I thnk it is wise for me to stay clear from them. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete